Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Roadtrip!

May 9 marked the two year anniversary of when my fiancé, Tara, and I met. To celebrate we decided to take a weekend roadtrip to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. More specifically, we decided to take a roadtrip to Dogfish Head brewery and brewpub.

Tara and I hit the road, with our sights set on the brewery (and it's awesome steampunk treehouse!) for an afternoon tour and tasting. As our trip took us through south eastern Pennsylvania, we made note of a few dilapidated buildings (and a vineyard) to check out on our way back home on Sunday.

We eventually made our way to Milton, the home of the brewery. As we passed through the small town, Tara and I both noticed a gorgeous brick wall, with remnants of the structure that shared it's support long ago. Hoping to have time later in the day, with better light, we continued on to the brewery. We arrived far too early for the tour, and didn't realize the tasting room couldn't serve beer outside of the tour. We ventured back into Milton, and were taunted again by the wall.

I didn't have enough courage to trespass and photograph the wall, as I didn't really want to tempt fate on our anniversary. I don't like trespassing, but it seems the subjects that call out to me aren't exactly on public property.

Flash forward a few hours and a few tasty beverages, I was determined to not miss this opportunity. I parked my car, hopped the gap between the fence and the water, and started composing. When I find a location that I connect with, I feel like a painter standing in front of a blank canvas. I paced back and forth a few times, looking. Seeing. I waited out the sun, and feverishly photographed when the light was right.

(photos by Tara Duffy)

Tara and I continued on to Rehoboth, and had an great weekend. Delicious Italian food, a Bruin's sweep, a few fun brunches, an afternoon tasting some really great beer, delicious non-seafood at a seafood restaurant. Oh, and the Atlantic Ocean.

Not really wanting the weekend to end, but facing reality with work on Monday, Tara and I hit the road. Hoping for a scenic drive, we headed south. Unfortunately that portion of the roadtrip was a disappointment, and we shortly turned around.

A few hours later, we were back in PA and decided to check out the winery we passed a few days earlier. Afterwards we zigzagged north for the next few miles, making stops at an abandoned gas station and two crumbling barns.








No comments:

Post a Comment